Frequently Asked Questions

How do these two types of Advance Directives differ?

The first type - known as the Living Will - is only followed when you have a terminal condition and only deals with life-prolonging procedures

The second type - often called a Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care - covers those cases and also covers situations where you can't make treatment decisions for yourself but do not have a terminal condition, such as when you have an accident or take a drug that leaves you unconscious. It also covers more than decisions about life-prolonging procedures. It will cover any decisions you want it to cover. If you wish, the person to whom you give a Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care could make any decisions about your health care that you have made yourself.