Pelvic Floor Dysfunction Rehabilitation
Facts and symptoms of pelvic floor dysfunction:
- Can cause difficulty with bladder or bowel control
- Affects men and women of all ages (more than 13 million Americans)
- Often caused or worsened by weak pelvic floor muscles
- Can result in prolapse, where pelvic organs (bladder, rectum, uterus) fall below their normal positions
- Symptoms can include pain in the pelvis, lower abdomen, pelvic floor or buttocks
- There are various causes and treatments
If you feel our program is right for you, consult your physician. Please bring a signed referral from your physician to your first appointment. A physicians referral form is included with this brochure for your convenience.
To make an appointment, call Mountain States Rehabilitation, Johnston Memorial Hospital at 276-623-0153 weekdays between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. We are located in the Camille Center, Suite G, 445 Porterfield Highway, in Abingdon, VA.
Most insurance companies will cover outpatient physical therapy services. Preauthorization may be necessary. Please have your insurance information handy when you come in for an appointment.
Mountain States Rehabilitation at Johnston Memorial Hospital offers confidential evaluation and treatment for people with pelvic floor dysfunction.
- Complete review of your related medical history and current symptoms by a licensed physical therapist
- Physical exam of your pelvic floor muscle strength and coordination, lumbar and abdominal assessment
- Bladder diary assessment, if indicated
Treatment plans are individualized to meet your needs and may include:
- Education on related anatomy and physiology
- Pelvic floor strengthening and coordination using biofeedback
- Electrical stimulation and vaginal weights
- Bladder retraining using behavior techniques
- Home exercise plan