Love Your Heart
Move Your Body
Inactivity, of course, often leads to being overweight. If your children are already overweight, some simple steps can help them lose the weight and improve their overall health:
Avoid eating while watching TV. Watching TV during mealtimes encourages eating whenever the television is on, whether you are hungry or not.
Use items that encourage physical activity as rewards.
Try low-fat or nonfat substitutes for your child's favorite foods.
Have your child set goals for his or her weight loss.
- Encourage healthy body image and focus on being healthy, not on being thin.
Inactivity and being overweight are issues that often begin in childhood. This can lead to many health problems, including heart disease. Too much time in front of the TV and too little time being physically active are problems that should be addressed early in a child's life. Parents can give their children a good start in life by setting a good example and setting limits.
Suggestions for keeping your children active:
- Limit your child's time in front of the TV or computer to a set amount, and stick to it.
- Play WITH your children instead of just sending them out to play by themselves.
- Keep televisions out of bedrooms.
- Be sure you and your kids get aerobic activity on most days.