Information for Patients and Visitors
Niswonger Children's Hospital recognizes that caring for a hospitalized child involves the entire family. This is why our hospital was designed with families in mind. Pediatric patients need spaces to play, grow and heal. Family caregivers need spaces to rest, relax and recharge so they are able to support the children they love. Please review the many amenities and family support areas available at Niswonger Children's Hospital, as well as our parent hospital, Johnson City Medical Center.
Quiet time runs from 1:30 to 2:30 during the afternoon hours. During this time, visitors are asked to be in the rooms or in the waiting areas, lights are dimmed, doors are closed, and procedures are limited to those needed for patient care. Nurses continue to respond to patient needs, but the ancillary services are provided at other times throughout the day. This is only one of many ways that the Niswonger Children's Hospital is bringing loving care to healthcare.
Parents Will Appreciate ...
- A design that is child-friendly and functional
- The selection, variety and educational value of things for children to do
- A family-centered, multidisciplinary team approach to caring for children, including care from physicians, nurses, certified child life specialists, pharmacists, dietitians, social workers, discharge planners, physical, speech and occupational therapists, and chaplains
- A staff that befriends children
- Encouragement of parent overnight stays and involvement in their child's care
- A Ronald McDonald House for families who must travel long distances for their children's treatment and need lodging
Children Will Like ...
- The playroom, with toys and games
- A TV and VCR in each room - and video games are available, too
- People who will help them understand what's happening to them and why medical procedures are important, even when they hurt
- Having Mom and Dad stay with them