Located in the heart of Southwest Virginia and the Appalachian Mountains, Norton Community Hospital Inc., is a not-for-profit, 129-bed, acute-care facility, proudly serving Southwest Virginia and Southeastern Kentucky since 1949. We are the only locally owned and operated healthcare facility in our region. Our Mission is to be a leader in improving the health and quality of life in the community, by working together as a team dedicated to excellence. As the largest healthcare facility in the coalfield region, Norton Community Hospital provides a wide array of services through highly trained physicians and support staff. Norton Community Hospital is a member of the VHHA, the Virginia Hospital and Healthcare Association and is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association.
Norton Community Hospital was the first AOA accredited teaching facility in the state of Virginia. The Internal Medicine residents of this program rotate through all areas of medicine, from health maintenance to critical care. The residents assist our physicians in providing quality hands on patient care, through observation, education and by participating in grand rounds. In addition to these services within the hospital setting, the Residents are also exposed to treating patients in an office setting at The Community Clinic (Resident Continuity Clinic) in Wise.
To improve access to primary care, Norton Community Hospital Inc. operates several clinics: Community Physicians-Norton, Community Physicians-Coeburn, Community Orthopedics, NorWise OB/GYN, Community Clinic-Wise (Resident Continuity Clinic), OccuMed Health Center and the Wise Professional Office Building which offers Physician Office Space, Outpatient Pharmacy, Radiology and Laboratory Services and is home to our comprehensive Home Health Services. Our medical staff consists of over 130 physicians and surgeons with specialty training in: family practice, internal medicine, ear-nose-throat, general surgery, urology, pediatrics, emergency medicine, geriatric medicine, critical care, cardiology, pulmonology, radiology, oncology, neurology, orthopedics, gastroenterology, ophthalmology, obstetrics, gynecology and dentistry.
Programs and services include intensive care/critical care/coronary care, 24-hour emergency room services, pediatric care, laser surgery, outpatient surgery, lithotripsy services, home health, hyperbaric medicine, dietary/nutrition support, pharmacy, inpatient and outpatient surgical services, 12-bed Intensive Care Unit, pastoral care, volunteer services, Helping Hands Gift Shop, community outreach and education programs, screening services, and UVA Telemedicine and pain management. Our radiological services include angiography, mammography, ultrasound, stereotactic breast biopsy, nuclear medicine, PET Scans, in-house magnetic resonance imaging unit (MRI), and CT scanner. The Family Birthing Center has six (6) semi-private GYN suites and seven (7) LDRP (Labor, Delivery, Recovery, and Postpartum) suites that offer comfort, care, and compassion that is unparalleled in the region. We offer prepared childbirth, parenting, sibling and safe-sitter classes, including education on breastfeeding and women's health. The center also offers a special area for Cesarean Sections and routine gynecological procedures. Our Cardiopulmonary Services department provides an extensive line of cardiac, pulmonary and neuro-diagnostic services. They also provide a comprehensive Sleep Medicine Program as well as an approved site for the Department of Labor's Federal Black Lung Program. The Regional Rehab Center offers occupational therapy, physical therapy, speech therapy, pulmonary rehab, anodyne therapy, cardiac rehabilitation, Cardiopulmonary Rehab, Smoking Cessation classes and Fit-One, a community wellness program. Our 3 year, CARF accredited (Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities), 11-bed Inpatient Rehabilitation unit provides a responsive, caring environment that enhances recovery and speeds the return to normal life for patients suffering from stroke, Parkinson's Disease, polyneuropathy, brain injury and hip fractures.
Norton Community Hospital has enabled businesses to lower their medical care costs through our comprehensive occupational medicine program at OccuMed Health Center. OccuMed offers nursing case management, work-related injury treatment and follow-up, pre-employment physicals, drug screenings, vaccinations, work-site safety analysis, general health screenings, OSHA regulation compliance assistance, and industrial rehabilitation. Community Home Care offers durable medical equipment such as lift chairs, motorized scooters, limb braces, diabetic supplies, turbans, and a private fitting room for mastectomy fittings. The Wanda Wampler Center for Women's Health houses our comprehensive women's health services. The center offers Stereotactic Breast Biopsy, Bone Densitometry, and Mammography.
Norton Community Hospital is an approved Training Center for the American Heart Association. We provide AHA HeartSaver programs to the community as well as basic and advanced life support courses to members of the medical community. Norton Community Hospital Inc. operates Dickenson Community Hospital and Dickenson Medical Associates in Clintwood, Virginia.
Norton Community Hospital got its start as the result of the driven spirit of three local physicians, Ernest J. Benko, George W. Botts, and D. Cury, Jr. In 1949, these three prominent physicians established the Miners Hospital in the Robert C. Fleming mansion in Norton. Later that same year, plans were announced to completely renovate the structure.
All three of the local doctors associated with the startup were well known in Norton medical circles. Dr. Botts came to Norton in 1921, remaining here continuously, devoting himself to ear, eye, nose and throat work, in his own private hospital. Dr. Benko came to Norton directly from service with the U.S. Navy, and had been associated with the Norton Clinic, formerly known as St. Mary's Hospital. Dr. Cury was a graduate of V.M.I. and the University of Virginia, and came to Norton after finishing his tour of duty with the Army, and had offices in the Dr. Botts Hospital.
The new Miners Hospital made the fourth hospital in Norton, the others being the Norton General, St. Mary's and Dr. Botts Hospital, and the seventh in the county. The others outside Norton being the Coeburn Hospital, the Appalachia General Hospital, and the Stonega Hospital, privately operated by the Stonega Coke & Coal Company.
Later, in 1951, the Miners Hospital was acquired by the Norton General Hospital and took its name, expanding services to all the residents of the region. In 1954, Norton General was acquired by and incorporated as Norton Community Hospital and the delivery of quality health care continued from the Fleming mansion. In October 1973, Qualicare, Inc., of New Orleans, Louisiana, assumed management of the hospital (1973-1983) and immediately began plans for construction of a new facility which was to be completed in 1977 to replace the old 75 bed facility which had originally been the home of a coal baron.
$6.5 Million of bonds were sold to finance the construction of the new Norton Community Hospital facility in May 1976, with the groundbreaking held on July 13, 1976. This significant step in the evolution of Norton Community Hospital was fulfilled on Sept. 7, 1977, with the opening of the present facility. Seventy-five acute beds and seventy-five long-term care, or nursing home, beds were opened in the new structure.
Progress continued as both the quality and quantity of health care provided by Norton Community Hospital grew. A banner year in the continued growth of the old Miners Hospital occurred in 1983. Facing a difficult decision concerning the long term care facility, the board of directors and administration officials elected to close long term care beds and expand acute care services. This action was completed in December 1983. This decision to close long-term care beds was more acceptable with the acquisition of the former Park Avenue Hospital. The 54 acute care beds were added to Norton Community Hospital's 75, bringing the total bed count to the current 129 acute care beds.
In the spring of 2002, Norton Community Hospital embarked on a 16.5 million dollar renovation project to expand our Emergency Room, Cardio-Pulmonary Services Area, purchase new equipment in Radiology and other areas to offer the very latest in diagnostic technology; developed a new Hospital Main Entrance and Emergency Entrance; and created a relaxing atmosphere in our Lobby with lighting, greenery and a water fountain; created private registration areas, re-located the Helping Hands Gift Shop, re-designed our patient rooms and hallways with new signage and lighting to enhance our patients experience, created a child friendly, dedicated Pediatric Unit and completed the project with an "Under the Sea" Pediatric playroom.
Today, Norton Community Hospital Inc. continues to grow and focus our vision on meeting and exceeding the healthcare needs of the citizens of our region. And to be recognized as the leader in the provision of quality primary care and specialty services, delivered through highly trained support and diverse medical staff. Our patients, physicians, and staff members are able to enjoy the benefits of rural living and the opportunity of practicing in a safe, modern and progressive healthcare facility.
Norton Community Hospital Inc. knows that being close to home is important to those we serve...and because it is, it's important to us too.