Norton Community Hospital Inpatient Surgical Services
Our full surgical staff of seasoned medical professionals provides a healing environment centered around you – the patient. We recognize that friends and family are an essential part of your care team, and we welcome them.
Surgical Suite Features
- Convenient covered drop-off and pick-up entrance exclusively for surgery patients
- Draeger-physiological monitoring
- LED lights
- High-definition video integration
- Audio integration
- Ceiling-mounted equipment handlers
- BIS monitoring for patients undergoing general anesthesia
Norton Community Hospital is located in the heart of Southwest Virginia and the Appalachian Mountains in Norton. It is a not-for-profit, 129-bed, acute-care facility that has been serving Southwest Virginia and Southeast Kentucky since 1949 and is the largest health care facility in the coalfield region. NCH was the first teaching facility in the state of Virginia accredited by AOA (American Osteopathic Association) and is a host to residents in internal medicine. The hospital operates several primary care clinics throughout the region.
General Surgery Services
All surgeries offer minimally invasive procedures. This includes laparoscopic as well as hand-assisted laparoscopic procedures.
- Abdominal procedures
- Appendectomy, laparascopic and open
- Breast procedures
- Colon surgery, laparoscopic and open
- Gallbladder, laparascopic and open
- Hernia repairs, laparascopic and open
- Venous ablation and ligation
NCH urology services include laser resection of prostate. The benefits of this surgery include:
minimal surgical incision, decreased loss of blood, decreased postoperative pain, decreased risk of infection and shorter recovery time.
Another technology available is the Holmium Laser, a minimally invasive treatment that uses laser energy to relieve enlarged prostate symptoms. With this treatment patients experience minimal pain after the operation and spend less time in the hospital. They also can resume normal activities within a week.
Other urological services include:
- Bladder tumor removal
- Impotence treatment (including implants)
- Laser kidney stone removal
- Laser vaporization-of-prostate
- Urinary incontinence procedures
- Cystocele and retocele-repair
- Hysterectomy, abdominal and vaginal
- Sterilization procedures
- Uterine ablation
Our in-patient rehabilitation unit was rated among the top 10% in the United States by the Uniform Data System for Medical Rehabilitation (UDSmr) in 2011. For you, this means that when your surgery is over, you can stay right here close to home during your in-patient rehab.
Orthopedic surgical services include:
- Arthroscopic services
- Carpal-tunnel release
- Trauma services (treatment of fractured hips, arms or legs)